As a user of Epson Printer, this article has the necessary tricks you need. As you read along, you will know about the Epson printer won’t print black and white without color ink.
Epson printer is a top and modern printer you can find on the market today. Over the years, one of the prominent issues users of this product are faced with, is the process involved in printing with black ink only when color ink is empty.
Whenever you experience a shortfall in the ink cartridge, it is very possible to continue your printing task from your personal computer with the black ink.
Although, printing with black ink is only a temporary alternative, hence, the need to replace the empty color cartridge as soon as you can.
How to Print with Black Ink Only When Color is Empty Epson
While printing, in case a message pops up on your computer screen informing you that printing can be done temporarily using black ink, this means you have exhausted the color cartridge.
To continue printing, you need to end the printing task and change settings to “Print on plain paper.”
Before you can print in black and white without color ink, it is very important to have the Epson Status Monitor turned on.
If you make use of windows for printing, you can print with an empty color cartridge by following the steps below:
The steps involved are:
- To end the print task that was on before you ran out of the color cartridge, click on the Stop button.
- Once the task is canceled, proceed to load the plain papers into your printer.
- Navigate through the print settings. Settings can be found in your print application.
- Look for the Main tab and click on it.
- Under the paper type setting, click on any of the options. Available options are “Bright Paper, Plain Paper, or Envelope.
- There is a checkbox for Black/Grayscale. Click on it.
- Once the indicated checkbox has been selected, click Ok to proceed.
- A print message from Epson Status Monitor pops up, instructing you to print your file.
- To print the intended file or document, click on the option “Print in Black.”
If you have been battling with the subject “Epson Printer Won’t Print Black and White Without Color Ink,” the above steps show how you can print with black ink only, when color is empty.
If these steps are followed just as stated, you should be able to continue printing temporarily before the replacement of the empty color cartridge.
If you make use of Mac for printing, you can print with an empty color cartridge by following the steps below;
If you experience a break in the printing task, in case you want to continue printing with black ink until you get the exhausted color Cartridge replaced.
All you need to do, is cancel the task and change settings to “temporarily print with black ink.” Printing can be done on an envelope or a plain paper.
The steps to follow during the process are:
- Navigate through the Apple menu and click on the printer icon
- On your computer screen, you will either get an update informing you about your inability to continue printing in color, but only with black ink or you will get an error message.
- If the message tells you about your inability to print with color ink but only with the black ink temporarily, click on the cancel or delete button to bring the task to a halt. In case it is an error message, proceed by clicking on OK.
- Still in the Menu, click on “System Preferences”
- Pick the appropriate command options. These options are “Print & Scan, Print & Fax, or Printers & Scanners.” Whatever your product is, select it. Once you have selected your product, click on “Options & Supplies.”
- Still in the Menu, click on “Options or Driver “depending on what shows on your computer’s screen.
- Once you click on the Options, several choices will be displayed. Ensure that the displayed choices or options are rightly displayed. One of the choices is the “Permit temporary black printing.” Make sure you put it on.
- To confirm the change made, proceed by clicking on “OK.”
- Insert an envelope or plain paper into your product.
- In your print application, there are print settings. Click on this option.
- From the displayed menu, click on “Print Setting.”
- Under the “Print Setting”, choose the paper type setting. The options may come as “Envelope or Plain Paper/Bright White Paper.” Whatever way it’s being displayed, click on it.
- Click on the Grayscale option.
- Now you can print your file or document without stress.
Epson printer features
When you compare Epson printers with other printer brands available on the market, the photo printing quality is an area where they stand out.
When you take a closer look at all Epson’s models, they are designed to deliver on high-quality images at every time of use.
For every model of Epson’s printer, there is a peculiar functionality that contributes to the production of top-class print for various print options.
The Key features of Epson’s printers are:
- The Inkjet cartridge comes with top quality ink. The high-quality ink makes it possible to achieve high-quality print from time to time.
- To ensure users can create very realistic photos, Epson printers produce improved dots per inch.
- The snapshots produced always look professional and they are of great quality.
- The ink cartridge lasts for a very long time.
- The ink cartridge is economical and you are assured of quality print for every task.
- The possibilities of the printed photos to fade at any point in time is very low. So, every photo print looks attractive for a very long period.
- The set-up is very easy. Also, the operation is reliable.
Why Epson Printer Good For Art Prints?
For every digital artist, to showcase your artworks, there is a need to spread the words out there.
This means the printing of your artworks can’t be thrown out of the tray.
If you choose to print your Artwork, it is important to ensure it meets up to professional standards.
If you need prints of high quality, then you should embrace the need for a printer of great quality.
No matter how talented you are, you need a printer that can bring out the uniqueness and beauty of what you do.
Although you can ask a printing shop to handle the print job for your project, it is never a good option.
Apart from the economic disadvantage, also, you don’t have total control over the process. Hence, there is a need to purchase a printer of great quality.
This is where the Epson printer comes in. Apart from being known as a top-class printer, it is as well designed for artists. Its features say it all.
For ease of connection, Epson’s printers are USB enabled, and they have a slot where you can insert your SD Card.
Epson Printer Common Problems While Printing
The following are common problems faced by users of the Epson printer while printing. In this section, these problems will be highlighted, and solutions to these problems will be provided.
01. Clogged nozzle
This problem is very common with Epson printers. It is easy to know if your printer is faced with this type of problem.
Once the nozzle is clogged, your prints start coming out unclear, unfinished or imperfect and affected by streaked lines.
When any of these identified signs are perceived, it is important to get your printer checked for a clogged nozzle.
This problem can’t be avoided, you can only manage it. Once the ink residue dries off and is retained in the nozzle, then clogging is bound to occur.
Whenever you perceive a drop in the link level, it is important to get the cartridges replaced. A replacement is known to be a perfect solution to preventing the ink residue from drying off in this area (Nozzle).
Don’t be surprised if you still experience clogging even after the replacement of the cartridges. Other reasons may lead to the clogging of the nozzles.
If you don’t operate your printer regularly and if you hardly switch off your printer, clogging is inevitable. Once you don’t make use of your printer from time to time, the ink dries up.
To put this under check, you can just turn on the printer occasionally. This helps to initiate a small cleaning round which allows the ink to flow.
If you experience unclear prints just after you have replaced the cartridge, it is advised you remove it, clean it with a damp cloth at both ends, shake it, and insert it back.
02. Paper Jam
This is considered as a mechanical problem or malfunction. This is when the printing papers get stuck in very close to the tray.
To get this problem fixed, make sure the printer is switched off. Once the printer is off, position the adjust lever correctly and take out the stuck papers. Take the adjust lever back to the paper position.
03. Paper gap
This occurs when the papers that are loaded in the tray are too thick. Another reason may be the inappropriate positioning of the adjust lever.
To correct this problem, make sure you take the adjust lever back to the right position. It must be in line with the level of thickness of the papers.
04. Ink low
This is an update you get when the printer is running low on ink. When this occurs, you should know that the ink cartridge is almost running empty.
The solution to this problem is to get the cartridge replaced. Although you can still proceed with the printing under this situation, the print quality is likely to be affected.
05. Change paper type
This error occurs when the paper loaded in the tray doesn’t complement the selected paper type.
Make sure the paper loaded in the tray is in line with the type of paper selected.
06. Inappropriate command
This happens when the data that is sent to the printer is damaged or bad. Also, when the printer gets data without the right command, this type of error occurs.
Another reason for this type of error is when you install the wrong driver for the printer.
To correct this issue, the first thing to do is to bring the printing task to a stop. Once you have stopped printing, hold on the pause button for at least three seconds.
Also, for issues related to the wrong installation of the driver, you can correct this by getting the right driver installed.
WH questions about Epson Printer Problems
My printer is not coming on. What should I do?
If your printer fails to come on after several attempts, then there is a need to carry out some basic checks. Check if the power cord is connected the right way.
Make sure the printer is off before this attempt. Also, ensure the outlet where the power cord is plugged is not faulty. Lastly, confirm the voltage supplied to the printer. Make sure the supplied voltage is in line with the required voltage that is indicated on the printer.
My printer doesn’t print anything. What should I do?
This may arise if the printer is not well connected to your computer. To solve this problem, ensure the interface cable of your printer is rightly connected to your computer’s terminal. Also, ensure you make use of specified interface cable for both the printer and the computer.
My printer is not the default printer. What should I do?
If you have a challenge selecting your Epson printer as the default printer for your printing job, check if the printer’s driver has been successfully installed.
Epson printers are the right pick for artists who want their artworks printed out in bulk. They are known for their efficient usage of ink, which allows users to save more over the years.
The printings are known to be cost-efficient, and it as well allows the use of special printing papers for your artworks.